A special opportunity for indie authors…
The Indie Spotlight launched in 2015 in response to the thousands of requests Literary Lightbox received from indie authors who said they’d love to be featured. We have always been impressed by the dedication so many indie authors put into their books but saddened by how hard it can be to get indie work effectively showcased. So we designed the Indie Spotlight as a free opportunity open to all indie authors who go the extra mile to produce their very best work, present it beautifully and inspire others.
We love meeting indie authors and the Indie Spotlight enables us help raise the profiles of several, carefully selected authors a year.
Who can apply
Any indie authors who have published a book and are subscribed to Literary Lightbox are eligible to apply for the Indie Spotlight. You may be solely an indie author (self published) or a ‘hybrid’ author who has published a blend of books independently and traditionally or through a hybrid publisher. The focus, though, will be on your independently published work.
Your book(s) can be in any fiction genre. Although Literary Lightbox prefers fiction with a strong element of suspense, particularly thrillers and crime, we’re open minded, so if you’ve written a story you think would keep our readers up to 2am desperate to find out what happens next, please do apply. The only genres we don’t cover are those which are erotic or those which are underpinned by a political or religious agenda as we’d like Literary Lightbox to remain a neutral haven in today’s heated world. The books you put forward to be included in the feature must have had input from a professional editor and cover designer. You’ll be asked to provide their details.
How it works
- Application: You can apply for the Indie Spotlight during the submissions window which opens once a year. To make sure you don’t miss out on the next round subscribe to Literary Lightbox’s free newsletter here.
- Judging: When the application window closes, everyone who made a submission will receive a message to let them know that judging has begun. All applications are judged in terms of the quality of the writing, cover design and how inspiring the authors’ publishing story may be to other writers.
- Shortlist: Every author who makes the shortlist is sent a message to let them know and are listed on Literary Lightbox.
- Finalists: Larger samples of shortlisted books are read in more detail and a decision made as to which authors will be featured in the Indie Spotlight. The finalists receive a message with the great news.
- Interview: All finalists will be interviewed a few weeks before the date they are to be featured. You’ll be asked to email some good quality, creative photos of you and your book to help bring the feature to life.
- Feature: Each successful author will be featured on Literary Lightbox, in the newsletter and on social media channels such as Twitter and Facebook. To get an impression of the style, please take a look at authors who have already been featured here.
How to apply
The application process generally takes five to twenty minutes depending on how much detail you want to go into. Having the following things to hand will make applying quick and easy:
- Details of your books and links to where they can be found (copies of books are not required at this stage).
- Information about you as well as any editors or cover designers with whom you have worked.
- Why you would like to be featured and how you think the story of your publishing journey may inspire other writers.
- Your contact details and anything else you feel may support your application.
It’s free to subscribe to Literary Lightbox here, apply for the Indie Spotlight and, if you are selected, to be featured. It’s our gift in recognition to all the hard work you’ve put into independent publishing.
If you’re interested in applying, please subscribe to Literary Lightbox (it’s free to sign up here) to be informed when the submissions window reopens.